Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Motivation, Accountability and Success

Your body can do anything.  It's your brain you have to convince!

Believe me I've had to convince myself of that on a consistent basis - And I still do!

How do I continue to stay motivated?  Believe me, I have my days where I wish I could just go through the drive through of McDonald's and get some french fries and a milkshake.  I have always been an emotional eater.  But, through the last 9 months, I've learned to find other ways to release stress or help me get rid of a bad mood (which, funny, doesn't occur very often).  Exercise is definitely one of those ways.  I just feel better when I get up and move.  I used to eat chocolate.  A lot of it.  And pizza.  And anything else I could get my hands on.  Hence the scale tipping at 281 pounds in January.  And me being incredible down on myself.  

Part of my motivation, still to this day (and probably for a long time), is having to report stuff to Renee'.  People laugh at me when I say it, but I know if I don't work out, I'll get in trouble.  She won't yell at me (at least I don't think so) but she'll remind me of why I'm doing what I'm doing, how far I've come or, the one that always gets me now, that people are looking to me as an example.  Which, by the way, is still totally crazy to me!  

Holding myself accountable is a big part of this whole process for me.  It would be easy for me (well, not really since I'm not a good liar...) to say I did something when, in reality, I sat on the couch, took a nap and watched TV.  But that wouldn't change my life in any way.  Also, after everything Renee' has done for me, I couldn't do that to her or myself.  It wouldn't do anyone any good for me to lie.  Also, eventually someone would figure it out.  So, I just don't let myself sit down after work or, on the weekends, I get up and do something in the morning so I can enjoy the rest of the day.  It's amazing how much more energy I have once I take a little time for myself.  

The other part about staying motivated and being accountable to myself is the fact that this isn't a diet.  It's a complete and total new way of life.  I know everyone always talks about lifestyle change.  It's the new term in the diet world.  But it is so true.  The way I eat, what I eat, when I eat, etc happens every day.  When free food shows up at work, I just don't eat it.  It may sound good or smell good but I know it isn't worth it in the end.  It took me awhile to get to that point, but I can honestly say that I don't miss stuffing my face with every piece of food that comes my way.  It makes me laugh when I hear people say, you can have a cookie.  Yes, I can absolutely have a cookie.  But, I also know myself well enough that I know, if I eat one cookie, I'll end up eating 12.  No joke.  So, why tempt myself when I don't really need to eat it?  

Also, I have no clothes at home that will allow me to gain weight back.  I got rid of all of them.... I am so enjoying going shopping right now, I don't want that to change.  I am loving my new active lifestyle.  It's given me confidence I didn't know I had inside myself.  I may not be much of an athlete (trust me - I am not very coordinated...) but I just keep going.  Early on in our friendship, Renee' figured out how much I like my routines.  I am a planner.  So, this quote describes me in a way:

Motivation is what gets you started.  Habit is what keeps you going. (Jim Ryan)

Working out is a habit for me.  And it's a good habit.  

Lifestyle Change = Results = Continued Motivation.  


No comments:

Post a Comment