Monday, October 28, 2013

My first 10K!

I'm really not sure what I was thinking when I decided to try a 10K.  For anyone who doesn't know, that is 6.2 miles.  I just did a 5K two weeks ago and running that much was a challenge for me.  I didn't even run the whole 5K but I did finished much faster than I thought I would.  But, since I had signed up, paid the money and made my mom sign up too, I decided to go for it and do the best I could.





It turned out to be a gorgeous day.  The morning was a little chilly but, for the end of October, we couldn't have asked for better weather.  Mom and I were ready to go and didn't have to wait too long.  The course was around a park - twice for the 10K.  I didn't realize how far 6.2 miles actually was until I got to the end of 3.1 and realized I was only halfway there.  But, I was determined to keep going and I had made it to the halfway point in about 35 minutes which made me happy.

Mom and I had split up pretty much from the beginning.  I got off to a quicker start but she eventually passed me when I had to start walking.  I had my ipod so I was good!  I knew the second half was going to be more difficult than the first but I also kept telling myself how close I was to being done.  That gave me a few bursts of energy :)  I definitely walked more in the second half but every time I felt like I could, I would jog for a little while.  I kept looking at my watch to see how I was doing on time.  Then I would look behind me to make sure there were still people behind me...I didn't want to be the last one!  By the time I got close to mile 6, someone who I had been close to most of the race gave me the push I needed to finish - she said, come on, you've only got .2 miles to go.  So, I started running and I went across the finish line an hour and 14 minutes after I started!  I was soooo excited!  My goal (in addition to not being last) was to finish in under an hour and a half.  Oh, and did I mention I had strep earlier in the week?  So, I was coughing and blowing my nose throughout the race.  

When I went across the finish line, I saw my mom and then, to my surprise, I saw my sister, brother-in-law and my niece!  They had come out to see me finish!  Meant the world to me that they would take the time to do that :)



I have to say, it was completely worth it.  I had fun, loved doing it with my mom (even though we weren't together most of the time) and really feel like I accomplished something I never thought I could.  Here's mom and I after we both finished :)


I think I'll wait til the cold weather goes away before I try another race.  And I may stick with 5K's for awhile until I get more used to this running thing.  But, I am so happy I tried the 10K and finished it in the time I did - Feels amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment