Friday, December 27, 2013

Sometimes...

Sometimes you have to forget whats gone, appreciate what still remains and look forward to whats coming next.

Forgetting what's gone -

I can't change the past.  I can't change what I've experienced and what I haven't experienced.  I can only start from this moment forward and do everything I want to do in my life.  Sometimes people refer to times  you wish could redo as "wasted time".  I don't feel that way.  Are there times in my life I wish I could redo and live over again?  Absolutely.  But, there's a reason my life turned out the way it did and, for the first time in forever, I am okay with it.  I actually think one of the biggest reasons I went through some of the crap (actually, most of it) is to make me a better person and more equipped to help people.  So, I guess, in some ways, although it is good for me to forget what's gone, it's also so important for me to remember the lessons the past has taught me.  I wouldn't be the person I am today without it.  Your past really does make you who you are.  And you would be amazed how much strength you can find from all of your experiences :)

Appreciating what still remains - 

There are so many things in my life I am appreciative of that are left from my past.  Most important would be the friendships I've formed with a couple of my best friends, the friends who are like family and, of course, my family.  I am so grateful for what remains of all of my collective experiences in life.  Without it, I probably wouldn't be able to guide students in making good decisions for their future (which I absolutely love doing).  Or maybe I wouldn't be such an awesome aunt (yes, I'm patting myself on the back here) with so much patience for the three most important people in the world to me.  Maybe I wouldn't have had the courage to do everything I've done over the last year without having to pick up the pieces of what was left of my life a year ago.  What remains of that life is what keeps me going to build a new and improved one for myself.  It makes me who I am today and who I will be in the future. What a huge blessing I've been given!

Looking Forward - 

Last year at this time, I didn't know how to look forward.  I just made it through each day as best I could.  I looked forward to the time I could spend curled up on my couch all alone.  I couldn't find anything else that made me happy.  Now, I can't wait to see what comes next.  When you fund yourself in this crazy world, it's unbelievable how much you want to share that with people.  I rarely stop smiling and, I've been told, the happiness I feel inside just radiates off my face.  I can't even imagine where I'll be next year at this time.  Although, I couldn't imagine where I would be right now when I was sitting on my couch a year ago.  Wow.  A year is both a long time and a short time.  I've enjoyed every moment I've experienced in 2013.  I can't imagine what could be better for 2014!  But, I know there are many things and I can't wait to experience every single one of them!

Stand up to your obstacles and do something about them.  You will find that they haven't half the strength you think they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment