Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Find Your Smile

Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile.

Too often, we are all guilty of letting this happen.  We let the outside world and our circumstances change the way we see ourselves, our jobs, our achievements, etc.  I know I am incredibly guilty of this.  Well, I used to be.  Occasionally it still happens but I love that it's a rare occurrence now.  

You really do have to figure out who you are on the inside to accomplish what this quote says.  Don't let the world change your smile.  Easier said than done.  When you have a bad or frustrating day at work, you can usually see it written all over your face.  It shows in how you talk to people, how much patience you have with your kids, the kind of conversations you have with your parents, significant other, etc.  Even how you deal with your co-workers.  

In order to accomplish what this quote talks about, I've had to do a lot of soul searching.  I've had to figure out what makes me happy.  Honestly, the inside is so much more important.  Yes, I've had a lot of physical changes and I couldn't be more thankful for them.  And for the ones I will continue to achieve.  However, the real change has been the person I've found on the inside.  Because I'm happy and at peace with who I am, my surroundings don't bring me down on a regular basis.  In fact, they hardly ever do.  And even when I have a not so good day, I find ways to smile and work my way through it.  Why?  Because it's not worth it to be sad, frustrated or upset on a regular basis.  Yes, it affects the people around you.  But, know who it affects more?  You.  

I am proof of that.  The old me may not have been the funnest person to be around.  But, other people could walk away from me.  I couldn't walk away from myself.  I was the one who was the most affected by allowing outside circumstances to change my smile.  There's fake smiles and real smiles.  I can honestly say my smiles were pretty fake a year ago.  I tried to put on a good show.  But, the people who knew me could see right through it.  Now, my smiles are real.  They are genuine.  And they are full of happiness.  I've had people ask me if I ever stop smiling.  My answer is usually just smiling at them and saying I don't know.  

It's crazy how much your outward appearance changes when you're happy on the inside.  If you really look, you'll see it in the person's eyes.  I can see it in my own eyes.  And I love it.  

Figure out what makes you truly smile.  When you do that, you'll be able to use your smile to change the world.  Just like I hope I am doing / can do.  Your happiness can (and will) rub off on others.  And it will just add to the joy you feel in your own life.  I promise.  


No comments:

Post a Comment