Monday, January 27, 2014

Last Year at This Time #2

So, a year ago today I went to the gym for the first time in a VERY long time.  I used to love working out but I had lost the enjoyment in it.  

I was told that I needed to change my clothes at school and go straight to the gym.  I decided I should follow directions so I packed a bag of clothes and went directly there after school.  I was going to a branch I hadn't been to in years because it was closer to work.  Going there didn't allow me to drive by my house, which was a good thing!  Kinda funny, after only a few days Renee' knew that if I had the chance to go home I would probably find a reason to not leave again.  Like I've said before, she could read me really well right from the start.  And that just made me trust her even more.  

So, my instructions were to start slow and just do 30 minutes.  I figured I could handle that.  I had my Ipod with me and there were plenty of TV's around.  I couldn't believe how out of shape I felt.  I mean, I knew I wasn't healthy but I couldn't believe how hard it was for me to go at a pretty consistent pace for the whole 30 minutes.  I used to be able to do so much more.  So, I knew I had a long way to go.  Very long.  But, I felt like I was finally up for the challenge.  One big reason?  I had someone to push me and make me do things that maybe weren't all that comfortable for me.  I had someone who would help me figure out what kind of workouts I should be doing so I wouldn't hurt myself but also so I would benefit from them.  

Fast forward a year....

Wow.  Today was the second day of the fitness class I am taking through my school district.  Today was very much an interval/boot camp style workout with cardio and other stuff.  I never would have been able to do 90% of what we did a year ago.  There was running, some jumping (which I still modify at times for myself), body weight, etc.  It really has taken me a solid year to build up to where I am today.  And I still have a long ways to go.  I still do some modified exercises.  And I'm not ashamed of it.  Every time I do them, I get a little stronger (I hope).  And, seeing how far I've come in the last year, makes me want to keep going and get stronger.  

Crazy.  I don't even the recognize the person I described from a year ago.  I love the way I feel when I work out.  And although there are days when it's hard to motivate myself (everyone has them), I really look forward to the feeling I have when I complete my workout and know I've done something good for myself, physically, emotionally, etc.  

If you're just starting out or just getting back on the wagon of exercising...take your time.  If you do too much too fast you'll burn yourself out or, worse, you could hurt yourself.  I will say, although I'm not at the end of my journey (I'll say it's the middle), the results will be completely worth it.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment