Thursday, January 9, 2014

Living in the Moment

Enjoy these moments now because they don't last forever.

As I sit here at the age of 33 (really not sure when that happened), I know how true this is.  I'm not sure when I got to be an adult.  Let alone an adult in her mid-30's.  But, over the last year I have learned that I really need to enjoy every moment in my day, week, etc because that moment will never happen again. Something similar might happen, but not in the same way. same place, etc.

For example - 

I am starting to realize how quickly kids grow up.  And I don't even have any of my own!  

My nephew is going to be 6 years old in less than 2 months.  I don't know how that is possible.  I was there the day he was born.  I held him shortly after he was born and was so excited to be an aunt.  I am so lucky that I get to be such a big part of his life.  But, as I look back, I may not have cherished all the little things with him as much as I wish I would have because I never thought time would go by so fast.  I wouldn't trade the little boy he has become for anything in the world.  But, I am definitely living in the moment more and more with him every chance we have to spend time together.  

I feel the same way about my nieces.  One is two and the other will be two in a couple of months.  They are hysterical together and apart.  I love being a big part of their lives and I am definitely treasuring every moment I get to spend with them.  They make me laugh all the time and are two of the sweetest little girls on the planet.  I know they won't be this little forever so every minute we spend together is precious to me.

Time flies when you are in a job you love.

I am now in the middle of my 10th year as a high school guidance counselor.  What?? Where did the last ten years go?  And when did I get old?  I remember starting out in my job at the age of 24, being young, naive and, in some ways, understanding the kids better than my colleagues because I was closer to their age.... :)  As I look back at the years now, I wish I would have stopped to cherish a few more of the moments that make it even more worth it to do my job than the ones that happen on a daily basis.  Today's teenagers get a lot of flack because of cell phones, video games, social media, etc but, the way I look at it, I'm guilty of it too.  I'd be lost without my cell phone.   And I love social media.  There are more awesome kids out there than I think anyone knows.  I love seeing them be successful each and every day and following their dreams.  They give me faith in the future of this world.

When you find yourself, you'll appreciate each day even more.

Now more than ever, I realize that you have to cherish each day.  I let way too many years slip by and I don't have a lot of fun moments to remember because I was too busy harping on what was wrong in my life.  Over the last year, I have learned how to celebrate everything.  Big and small.  I laugh at myself.  I make random comments.  I've discovered I'm actually kinda funny.  At least to some people.  I enjoy being around people.  I work with awesome people and I become more and more thankful for that every day.  They bring out the best in me, listen to me if I get frustrated (which, surprisingly, doesn't happen much these days) and are just fun to be around.  You never know what tomorrow is going to bring so live today to the fullest - you won't regret it - I promise!!

I'm feeling a little nostalgic tonight so this is what you get if you decided to read my blog :)  Not sure why, but it's not a bad thing.  Happens a lot in January because three days out of the month I remember 2 amazing women who had a profound impact on my life.  I miss my grandmas more than I can say but I know they are up in heaven, having a drink and looking down on me and smiling.  Although I know they were always proud of me, I feel like they finally know I'm happy and at peace with myself.  And I have a piece of each of them with me everytime I put my butterfly necklace on, wear my grandma's engagement ring or look at my pandora bracelet and my butterfly charm on there.  By encouraging me to become pen pals with my cousin Mere, my grandma helped me form one of the best friendships I have in my life.  For that, and so many other things, I am eternally thankful.  All of these things and more are reasons I know moments may not last forever, but the memory of them can.  And, sometimes, that is more powerful than the moment itself.

That's how I enjoy every moment.  What about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment