Thursday, January 2, 2014

What is Change?

Change.... Such a big word in so many ways.   I mean how else can you describe the events of life for everyone throughout a year?

According to the dictionary, change is defined in a few different ways:
     1.  to make the form, nature, content, future course of, etc. different from what it is or what it would be if left alone.
     2.  to transform or convert
     3.  to substitute another or others for
     4.  to give and take reciprocally
     5.  to transfer from one to another

Okay, so although I think most of these describe what I've done in the past year, the one I feel most depicts my life is the first one. 

 "To make the course of...different from what it is or what it would be if left alone".

If my mom hadn't taken the time to confront me almost a year ago with everything that was wrong with my life, be supportive and just listen to me cry for hours, I don't know where I would be.  In fact, it scares me to think that I could still be that unhappy and just kind of floating my way through life.  So, change is accepting that although I may not always want to hear what my mom has to say, she truly does know me the best of everyone in the world and only wants what is best for me.

I also have a very difficult time imagining my life without Renee's guidance and friendship over the last year and for the rest of my life (because I know she'll be my friend forever).  If I hadn't had the great fortune of having a big brother who loves me more than I think I ever knew, I probably never would have met her and began the adventure I've been for almost a year.  Change is....taking chances, and knowing that everything in life happens for a reason.

I've had so many people be supportive, encouraging and, amazingly, say I've inspired them in some way.  That last one will always seem strange to me.  Change is....making a difference in the lives of other people - even when you don't realize it or think it is possible.

I used to think I was a happy person.  I had no idea how unhappy I truly was.  My heart no longer feels heavy and I don't feel like I am carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders.  I enjoy my life and I love being truly alive for the first time in a long time.  Change is.....Finding happiness.

Oh, how I hate trying new things.  Whether it's food, meeting new people or just different situations.  If it's uncomfortable for me, I don't want any part of it.  But, if I hadn't been open to all the new things I've experience this year, I wouldn't be in a new job that I love, have met the amazing people I've met and be coming out of my shell at little more each and every day.  Change is.....Being brave.

There's so many amazing adventures available to everyone to experience in life.  I've loved every single one I've been through this year (well, I probably could have done without that whole sushi thing...).  They've all made an impact on the person I am becoming.  Change is....Learning new things.

What do you want to do?  That's a question only you can answer.  Other people can give you advice, tips or share their thoughts but only you truly know what you want out of life.  Sometimes, it will take you awhile to figure it out.  I still am.  But, as I'm figuring out, that's what makes life interesting and I wouldn't have it any other way.  Change is.....Accomplishing goals.

I've finally figured out who I am.  For the most part.  But it's a lifelong process and one that I enjoy a little bit more every day.  Change is.....Finding yourself.

Most of all - change is this:

http://flipagram.com/f/bERsx4DxKD - my journey in a short video :)


Your life is your message to the world.  Make sure it is inspiring.



No comments:

Post a Comment