Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Five W's of Life


When I saw this, I loved it right away :)

Who you are is what makes you special.  Do not change for anyone.
It has taken me years to learn this lesson.  I posted something similar on my Facebook page last night.  For most of my life I've tried to fit in.  I've never been able to truly say who I am.  I still have trouble with it.  At the age of 34, I'm still trying to find my identity and my place in the world.  But, because I'm happy, I'm enjoying the process.  I enjoy being out in the world (as long as I don't have to talk to people I don't know...).  I used to try to change to "fit in" with a certain group of people.  Or to try to be someone I'm not.  Over the last year and a half, I've finally figured out that I love who I am and so do a lot of other people.  What a strange concept to discover at my age.  At the same time, it feels amazing!  And I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

What lies ahead will always be a mystery.  Do not be afraid to explore.
I probably struggle with this the most.  I am a planner.  I like to know what's going to happen.  However, I also can go with the flow pretty easily.  As long as I have an idea of what's happening!  Throughout this journey to find who I am, I am slowly learning that it's okay to not know what's going to happen.  That it's fun be surprised.  That life is about exploring new things.  It's how you figure out who you are and what life may have in store for you.  I work at this every day.  And it's worth it.

When life pushes you over, you push back harder.
For so long I let life push me over.  I let people walk all over me.  I didn't have any self-worth or feel like I mattered to anyone.  As I've developed some confidence in myself, I've figured out that I can push back on everything that has pushed me down.  I don't have to be mean about it.  I just need to stand up for myself.  Find what makes me happy and pursue it.  A certain someone said to me recently, "create your own happiness".  For some reason, when I hear that from someone I trust, it makes me think about it more than I would if I just read it on my own somewhere.  Creating my own happiness is going to be a long process.  But, I am so excited for all the progress I've made so far!

Where there are choices to make, make the one you won't regret.
If I want to be happy I have to take chances.  I've learned to do that over the last year and a half.  When I have the choice to sit in my house by myself or go out to happy hour, I've started to choose happy hour.  The old me would have made up an excuse and stayed in the comfort of my house.  Now, I know that I will regret saying no to people, opportunities and chances to find happiness.  I've had enough regret in my life.  I certainly don't need any more regret!

Why things happen will never be certain.  Take it in stride and move forward.
I've said before I dwell on so many things.  I always want to know why things happen.  More importantly, why it always felt like the crappy stuff happened to me.  As I've started to see beyond my own issues, I can see everyone has experienced difficulty.  Others may not be aware of it but it happens.  Although I still do (and probably always will) analyze everything, I don't let it consume me.  If something not so great happens, I just go with the flow and know that something better lies ahead of me.  

She will deny it and say it's all me but I owe so much of this clarity to my friendship with Renee'.  For some reason, I believe we were meant to meet and be friends.  Her belief in me as a person broke down all the walls I had built up around myself for so many years.  To this day I'm not 100% sure why she took an interest in me but I am so thankful every day that she did.  I wouldn't be where I am in life without everything she has helped me discover about myself.  Our friendship is one of the greatest gifts I'll ever receive in my life.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment