Thursday, October 15, 2015

Just Keep Moving

While talking to someone at the gym yesterday, I started remembering many pieces of my own journey.  She is just starting on an adventure to lose weight and be healthy.  For me, it's a never ending journey but that I am finally comfortable living in my daily life.  Everyone's journey in life is different and unique.  But, as I was sharing some of my story with her, something she said stuck with me.

We started our workout together.  I moved a little faster but I wasn't paying attention to that.  We did the warm up and another set of exercises together before we chatted for a few minutes.  After we started talking and she heard some of my history with this whole exercise thing, she said this:  "At first I was trying to keep up with you.  But I realized I couldn't and had to tell myself that was okay.  That I just had to keep going".   So unbelievably true.

See, when I first started working out, I often got mad or frustrated with how little I could do.  Or how out of breath I got without doing much.  Slowly I started to improve.  I remember when I started doing boot camp with my brother, sister and their coaching friends. I couldn't keep up with anyone.  Talk about feeling out of place and like you had to compete.  And always finishing last.  But, know what?  It actually helped me improve my confidence.  Because every time I completed an exercise, I felt pride.  Even if it was modified.  Or slower than molasses.  Although it took a little convincing, I realized that every time I got just a little better, I was making improvements with myself.  And, as I slowly made improvements, I realized that if I just kept going, I would keep getting better and feeling better about myself.  See, I figured out that no one but me could make me feel happy inside.  Because, once I found happiness on the inside, it definitely started to show on the outside.  I just had to keep moving.  In lots of ways.

This can apply to all situations in life.  The only person you should compete with in any way is yourself.  Who cares who makes more money, drives a fancier car or almost anything.  Your life is your own.  The only way you'll find true happiness is to be content with who you are, where you are and what's ahead.  It took me a long time to figure this out for myself.  I have my days where I question it but then I look around at all the blessings in my life.  I can't even count them all.  And, let me tell you, whenever I question myself, there's always a little voice (or 4) around the corner telling me how much Mimi is loved.  Nothing could, or ever will, make my heart happier or fuller.

And so, I just keep moving.  Some days are better than others.  And it's okay. That's what life is all about.  Enjoy every second.  Because time flies.  I don't want to miss out on a second.   



No comments:

Post a Comment