Sunday, May 11, 2014

Being There for Others


I posted this on Facebook this morning and, as I thought about it, I love it so much that I thought it would make a good starting point for a new blog.

There are so many people who have made a difference in my life during the 34 years I've been around.  I have had countless teachers, friends, neighbors, mentors, bosses, etc that, in one way or another, have had an impact on my life.  I wouldn't be the person I am without all of those people.  And, I can safely say that although I may have thought so (and still do), they may not have fit the textbook definition of brilliant, rich, beautiful or perfect.  But, in my mind, they all fit my definitions of those words.

     Brilliant - The dictionary would probably say the definition of this is book smart.  However, I think brilliant means that you are smart enough to know who needs you and when.  You know what to say and what not to say. You're just there when someone needs you with no questions asked.  The brilliant people are the ones who make this a world worth living in.
     Rich - This word often defines those who have a lot of money.  And, while that is definitely a valid meaning of the word, there are so many other ways to be rich.  You can be rich with wonderful people, experiences and many other things.  You can be rich in the ways you approach situations and deal with others.  And, certainly you can be rich in what receive by giving to others.  
     Beautiful - Inner beauty means so much more to me than outer beauty.  However, I often find that those who are beautiful on the inside, have beauty radiating on the outside.  
    Perfect - No one is perfect.  It's what makes us all human.  But, certain people are meant to cross paths and, often, for one reason or another, those people are perfect for each other.  Either for a short period of time or as a lasting friendship.  

But, the part of this that really tugged at my heart is the last part - You just have to care enough and be there. 

There's something to be said for being there for someone.  Everyone (me included) gets wrapped up in their own lives.  We wouldn't be human if we didn't.  But, when someone takes a moment to tell you they appreciate you.  Or to send a compliment your way, it can make a much bigger difference than you realize.  Some people don't have a lot of positive things to look forward to in life.  When you can get someone to smile, it might be one of the only times that person feels happy.  I've been there.  I know what it feels like when you don't feel like anyone notices you.  Even if it isn't true.  I am so blessed now.  And, I can see I always have been.  I just needed to find someone who I knew cared enough and has the ability to help me see that.  I am lucky to call her one of my best friends now.  

Take a moment today and reach out to someone.  Show them you care.  Even if you can't physically be there, they will know you are there in spirit and will always be someone they can lean on in good and bad times.  You never know what kind of a difference it will make in that person's day.  Trust me, it means more than you'll ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment