Friday, August 30, 2013

Am I really ready for this??

Going back to school also began the month of April.  Usually another crazy busy month with scholarships, master schedule and getting things ready for the end of the school year.  So , it was fun to get an email from Renee' the first day back where she put together a list of everything I had accomplished over spring break.  I tend to not really pat myself on the back or take credit for anything that I do.  I've always preferred to just blend into the background and not really be noticed.  My self-confidence was really low and it's something I'll be working on for a long time.  However, seeing that list gave me even more of a reason to be proud of myself.  Just a few of the things on the list - I'd lost 28 pounds, it was easier to chase my nephew and nieces around and I tried fish (which, to this day, I still can't believe).

In that email she mentioned that she was still training my brother and sister and some of their co-workers on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school.  She said I was welcome to come up and observe sometime if I wanted to.  I was intrigued but I also knew I would clam up and probably not say a word to anyone.  Even with my brother, sister and Renee' there, I would be completely out of my element and uncomfortable.  But, I decided it would be fun so I agreed.  I figured I would just go for a walk when they got done to get a little exercise.  Renee' had a different idea....

She texted me that morning and told me I could try to do half the stuff if I wanted to.  I totally tried to get out of it by saying, I would be late getting there, I'd have to change, etc.  She convinced me to bring my clothes with me and I could decide if I wanted to change that afternoon.  When I got there I think she was excited to see me and I just waved to my brother and sister and didn't say much of anything.  She told me to go get changed... so I followed directions :)  I still wasn't convinced I was going to do anything... I should have known better!  I think she knew if she could get me there, she could convince me to do something.  After I got changed, I went back out and she said, what do you want to do, we can start with something easy, like walking lunges.  I just looked at her, pretty much saying, you want me to move from this spot???  She had one of her trainers come over and make me move and she stayed with me for the rest of the afternoon.  I didn't say much more than 10 words to her the entire time I was there... I felt kinda bad but I just wasn't comfortable.  I had to pull some kind of band thing around a pole different ways, do some squat thing and some other stuff I don't remember (Renee' loves the technical names I come up with for these exercises - I have no idea what they are really called!).  At the end I felt pretty good.  I still went for a little walk to get some fresh air.

Renee' even called me later that night to see what I thought about the afternoon.  I told her it was fun but I felt bad because I didn't talk much.  She said it's okay, you're not supposed to talk when you're exercising! :) Got home later that evening, ate dinner and went to bed.

Holy crap I couldn't move my arms the next day!  Washing my hair was quite an experience that morning.  I literally couldn't raise my arms above my head.  I've never been that sore in my life.  I know that made Renee's day :)

The rest of the day, we went back and forth with her trying to convince me to try sushi - I told her she'd lost her mind (in a nice way...)  I had a visitation to go to that evening and, although it was a sad occasion, I saw some people I hadn't seen in a few months and they all commented on how great I looked.  It was so fun to hear!

There were still many more adventures ahead of me and I was starting to feel like there were great things ahead of me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment