Sunday, August 25, 2013

Continuing on My Food Journey

The month of February has been exhausting for me since I started my career.  If I remember correctly (which I usually do), there are 5 parent nights, conference night and ACT testing all in that one month.  In addition to that, the department is in full blown scheduling mode for the next school year which, for anyone who has ever been in a high school, is probably the craziest time of year for a guidance department.

So, by the end of the first week of February, I was exhausted already and looking forward to a quiet Saturday night.  Renee' suggested I look through recipes while monitoring the ACT and find something new to make.  Cooking and recipes... so not my thing but I was willing so I looked....but within abut 15 minutes I knew I was in over my head.  I didn't understand the titles of the recipes, let alone most of the ingredients.  I really believe the people who write some of these recipes are trying to confuse people like me.... but that's another story.  

I told Renee', I feel like an idiot and she just laughed, went with it and said she would help me come up with something.  Amazing person, right??  Later that day she sent me a couple of different ideas that were actually fairly simple, I made one and it was actually good!  Guess I can confess I'm pretty good at following directions!

The next week was an exhausting one but I was determined to stay on track.  Although I could only get to the gym two days that week, I knew if I stayed focused on my nutrition, I would be okay.  Imagine my surprise when I stepped on the scale on Valentine's Day (it was a Thursday) and I had lost another 3.5 pounds!  My total so far was over 10 in less than a month - Unbelievable!  It made the long week much more bearable and allowed me to avoid another plate of cookies staring at me all night.  I really think there is something written in a manual somewhere that if you feed people in the education field, they will be happy -  I used to love that...not so much anymore!

Making it through the first two weeks of February and sticking to my new lifestyle was a success - it made me proud of myself and gave me another reason to keep moving on this journey - Although I still could never have imagined where it would take me in such a short amount of time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment