Friday, April 4, 2014

Last Year on This Day

I really do have a memory of steel.  Or something that holds a lot of useful and useless information.  Sometimes it's a curse but, most of the time, it's a blessing.  One, because hardly anyone ever argues with me about things that happened in the past.  Two, it allows me to remember so many amazing things in my life.  And three, as I've gone through so many life changes over the last 14 months, I can remember so many of them even though I didn't write much of what happened throughout that time frame down (until I started writing this blog).

Many of you see my posts on Facebook, about the things I've been able to do fitness wise that I never imagined I would be able to do in my wildest dreams.  Keep in mind, I'm a very different person from who I was even last April.  I was still really uncomfortable in my own skin and trying new things was like the scariest thing on earth to me.

A year ago today, Renee' somehow convinced me to go to my first boot camp.  Now, when she first made the suggestion that I come, it was just to observe (and to watch my brother and sister get tortured a little - ahhh, sibling love).  The thought never entered my mind that I would do anything but stand there and blend into a corner.  However, about halfway through the day, Renee' and I were texting and she said, feel free to jump in and try some of the stuff if you want.  My thought?  Oh lord.  Really?  I tried to make up an excuse of, oh, I'll be late and I'll have to change my clothes, etc.  We left it at maybe I would try a couple of things... I should have known better than to think that would be all that would happen...

I got there and, of course, she told me to go get changed.  I didn't have a reason not to, so I did.  I wasn't exactly a fan of moving from the spot I was standing in.  Took some coaxing, but I moved.  A little.  I didn't speak throughout most of what she made me do.  Not mad, it's just really hard for me to open up in front of a group of people.  Especially when I don't know them.  There were some bands involved and a physioball behind my back to do some squats.  I think I did some walking lunges as well.

Fast forward a year and I get excited to go to boot camp.  I actually speak to people on my own (although I'm still pretty quiet and try to blend in as best I can).  I can do more of the exercises than I ever imagined I'd be able to do a year ago.  I still have a long ways to go.  There are some things that I see others do that I can only hope I will one day have the strength to do.  I'm still working on my confidence level with a lot of the different equipment and exercises.  I can probably do more than I believe I can.  I'm sure Renee' thinks I can do more than I think I can.  And she's usually right.  She's tricky like that.  But, she also knows when and how much to push me.  It's funny how someone I've only known for a little over a year understands me that well.  We're friends.  And it's a bonus that she's so smart about all this fitness and food stuff :)

Just yesterday we had a 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 day.  And, unbelievable as it might be (to me and anyone reading this), I was the first one finished.  Along with my sister.  Who is much stronger than me.  And in much better shape.  Huh?  I have no idea when or how that happened!  Oh, and I had to prove the whole push up thing to Renee' finally.  I did it - whew! :)  And now, my arms are sore.  But it's a good feeling - except when I try to dry my hair :)

It's fun to look back and see how far I've come.  Celebrate every success because every step forward is one closer to your goals.  All the changes I've made are the result of a lot of hard work (and patience from a certain someone) but it's been worth every minute of exercise, every trip to the grocery store (for the most part), every google search for recipes, every mistake I've made along the way and all the success, happiness and peace I've found in my life.

Determination Today = Success Tomorrow



No comments:

Post a Comment