Monday, November 17, 2014

So Thankful - Part 2

I really do have so much to be thankful for.  So, here goes my attempt at the next 30 things I am thankful for.

31. My cousin Meredith - She made the list last year and I can't imagine a time when she wouldn't make the list.  Although we didn't grow up together, we made an effort to become friends through letters (showing our age) and, finally, a visit when I was 17 and she was 16.  At that point I think it had been over 10 years since we'd seen each other.  It was like we'd been best friends forever.  And, since then, I've always known she is someone I can turn to when I need to cry, need to vent, need a friend, need to celebrate or just want to chat and catch up on life.  I so wish we could see each other more often but, when we do, it's like no time has passed at all.  Mere - we need a new picture!!  Hopefully that will happen this year :)

32. The beach - it truly is my happy place and I feel at home whenever I feel the sand between my toes and the sun shining on me :) 
33.  My condo - It really is my home.  I remember moving out on my own a little over 8 years ago and how scared I was.  Now, I love it.  It's my little sanctuary.
34. Books - they make me think, imagine things and occupy my mind in a healthy way.
35. Writing - It really is the greatest way I have to express myself, my thoughts and my feelings.
36.  My sister-in-law, Kristin - It's weird to even think of her as an in-law anymore.  She is my sister.  And one of my best friends.  She and Andy have given me two of the most precious people in my life and she is always there for me whenever I need her.  Our family is so lucky to have her as a lifelong member :) 

37. My job - I am so blessed to go to a place that I truly enjoy working at every day.  My co-workers are amazing and, although our job can be stressful at times, I love that we are all friends and are able to laugh and have fun on a daily basis.  
38. The students I get to work with every day.  There is definitely a variety!  And I love hearing about their hopes, dreams, goals and so much more.  It's so fun when I hear that they've been accepted to the school they want to go to or that they've earned an award they worked hard for and so much more.  Helping them achieve their goals is why I went into this field to begin with.
39. Water - I'm pretty sure I'd have a decent headache every day without it.  Can't believe it took me 32 years to figure that out!
40. Random facts - they just make me laugh.  
41. My friends (and co-workers) Kira and Kelli.  They listen to me on a daily basis, laugh at me while I laugh at myself about food and cooking, are fun to be around and are willing to keep me company while I try to achieve goals.  Namely, running 4 miles without stopping.  I'm so thankful they were there for me to share my achievement with that day!

42. Running - It's not my favorite thing in the world but I am so thankful that I am able to do it.  It took me a long time to get to where I would call what I do running.  But, all the effort paid off and continues to pay off every day.  I actually miss not being able to get outside now that it is freezing cold and snowy.  Hopefully there will be a few sunny days here and there where I can get outside this winter.  
43.  The Biggest Loser - Despite the controversy that surrounds this show (some of which I agree with), I still love seeing people have the opportunity to gain their lives back.  Being someone who has been in their shoes, I see both the physical and emotional struggles they go through during this process.  And I love seeing the breakthroughs they experience on all levels of the process to change their lives.
44.  Body spray - I love the different scents :) 
45. Tissues with lotion - if you know me, you know I am sick throughout most of the winter.  If the tissues didn't have lotion, my nose would be even redder than it usually is.
46.  My brother in law, Seth.  He is the perfect match for my sister.  I am lucky enough that we get along great and actually work in the same field.  It's so nice to have someone to bounce things off of when I need to or to ask for advice if I need it.  He's an amazing dad to Emma and I can't wait to see what the future holds for him and Ang.

47.  Driveway salt - without it I am fairly certain I would fall on my butt many times throughout the winter.  Well, I still might fall but, then I can just blame my lack of coordination.
48. The ability to see improvement in myself every day.  The first time I ever did 10 push-ups (not on my knees) without stopping I almost cried.  That may sound crazy but, if you have any recollection of where I started almost 2 years ago, you'll understand what a huge accomplishment this was/is for me.  I'm not able to do it every day but I feel stronger each time I do.  One day, maybe I'll actually be able to bend my elbows a little more than I do right now.  Small steps :)
49.  My heated mattress pad - I mean, it's the only way I survive winter.  But, it does make getting out of bed a little more challenging than it already is when it is cold.
50. Words with Friends - even though I'm not very good, it's a fun game to play.
51. My Aunt Mo.  I've used a couple of quotes she's sent me in this blog.  She is truly one of the greatest people in the world.  She often gets me in a way even I don't understand.  She helps me see things from a different perspective and she is absolutely hysterical.  There are some certain songs that instantly bring a smile to my face when I hear them because all I can see is her driving her car in rural "Virginny" singing along to them.  I know I can always count on her to be there.  Anytime she, my cousin Mere and I get together, we are like the 3 musketeers :) 

52. Razors that don't require shave gel.  One less thing to buy at the store.  And much quicker in the morning.
53.  My shower radio.  Keeps me awake while I am in the shower before work.  
54.  Nintendo Wii - When I get really bored - the obstacle course is super fun!  And, it's the only way I am any good at golf.
55. Short hair - I've had many different hairstyles but I love my current cut and how little time it takes me to get ready in the morning.
56. My grandparents.  Sadly, they are no longer on earth with me.  But, I am so lucky that I had so many years with all 4 of them.  Each one taught me many different lessons in life and I wouldn't be the person I am without the wisdom and influence they each brought to my life.  I believe they are all still with me in some way.  There are little things that happen each day that show me they are looking out for me.  And I am so lucky to have 4 amazing angels watching over me each day.

57.  Nail files - then I don't have to cut my nails just because one breaks.
58.  Microwave - If you know me at all, you know I hate cooking.  So, this is the best thing ever!
59.  Soccer - this game has brought so much fun and achievement to my family in many ways.  I can't imagine the fall without a bunch of soccer games to go to.   And the friendships it has created.
60.  Snooze button - feel free to refer to the posts about how much I love to sleep.

Stay tuned for Part 3 :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment