Thursday, November 13, 2014

So Thankful

Last year I saw many people doing the 30 days of being thankful on Facebook.  So, I put my own twist on it.  And I came up with something I was thankful for for every pound I had lost up to that point.  It was fun.  I mean, as I started to write it out, I wasn't sure I would be able to come up with over 90 reasons/things to be thankful for, but, much to my surprise, it was easy (feel free to go back and read those entries if you're intrigued).  Just one more shining example of how, when you find happiness in life, it's so easy to see all the blessings that surround you on a daily basis.  I haven't lost any weight this year so that strategy isn't an option.  But, I have maintained a weight loss of at least 90 pounds this year.  And, since I feel that is something to be immensely thankful for (and proud of), I am going to go with that number and strive to come up with that many things that I am thankful for.

So, here goes the first 30 - not sure how long it's going to take me to come up with these.  Some will probably be repetitive from last year but that just means I was right!

1. My parents.  This world would not be complete with these two AMAZING people.  They are seriously the most patient, kind hearted, generous people anyone could ever hope to meet.  They would give the shirts off their backs to help someone in need.  As parent/child relationships go, I've certainly given them a run for their money, so to speak.  I was definitely a challenging child.  But, they've never given up on me.  And I know they never will.  If I am struggling, I know I can call them and they will drop whatever they are doing to help me.  Or just listen to me cry.  Luckily, that doesn't happen as much as it used to.  But, just knowing they are there is the best feeling in the world.  I am so thankful God blessed me with them as my parents.

2. Zero Calorie Sweetener - I mean, how could anyone eat plain greek yogurt without this stuff? 
3. Fleece pjs - As it starts to get colder, I am reminded how much I love to be all bundled up under a blanket in my warm fleece pjs :)
4. Chapstick - Winter would be really difficult without this stuff.
5. Nail polish - It just makes the world a prettier place.  Especially when people wear flip flops.
6.  My brother and sister.  I mean, how on earth did I get so lucky?  Sure, we had our differences growing up (what siblings don't) but they have ALWAYS been my best friends and I know they always will be.  I absolutely treasure how close we are and that we get to spend so much time together.  I love that we workout together and that they push me to do things that I don't think I am capable of doing on my own.  They support me and love me  even at times when I am not all that lovable.  I can't imagine navigating this crazy world without them there to support me.  And I am so thankful I'll never have to find out how difficult that would be.

7.  Google - I would not be eating or have figured what some of the foreign words people use in recipes mean without this wonderful invention.  (How did I get through high school without it?)  
8.  DVR - I'd actually have to know what's on TV and when were it not for this lovely device.
9.  Pictures - as most of you know, I am a picture fanatic.  I feel like they capture precious moments that you might forget otherwise.  They are a beautiful reflection of life.
10. Green Tea - even though it makes me have to pee quite often, it tastes good and gives me something warm to drink in the morning since I'm not a coffee drinker.
11.  Being an aunt. I can't imagine life without these three.  I hardly remember life before they came into the picture.  They fill my heart with their innocence, curiosity, enthusiasm, energy hilariousness and zest for life.  But, most of all, the love I feel for them and the way I feel when they tackle me with the triple hug is, by far, the absolute greatest feeling in the world.  

 



12. Facebook - I get to stay in touch with so many people from so many different parts of my life.  It's such a blessing.
13. My glasses - Because my eyes get tired after having my contacts in all day.
14. The dishwasher - Because as much as I despise cooking, I equally despise washing dishes.
15. Pillows - I mean, how could you sleep without one?  Or three...
16.  Cooper - This kid is the epitome of the perfect nephew.  He is smart, athletic, inquisitive, funny, warm, caring and so much more.  And he's only 6!  When he came into the world he taught me about a different kind of love.  And he has opened my eyes to the world in a completely different way than I ever thought I would be able to see.

17.  Signs at the grocery store.  Makes it so much easier to navigate that crazy place.
18.  Steamable frozen veggies.  I mean, for someone who hates to cook, this is a miracle of an invention.  
19.  Blankets - Then I don't have to get a pair of socks dirty at night :)
20.  Candy Crush - It's so mindless yet addicting at the same time....
21.  Chloe - My first niece.  I couldn't imagine loving anyone more than I love Cooper.  Well, there was definitely enough room in my heart for her.  From the start she has been the perfect addition to my life.  She makes me laugh, she's so smart, loving, caring, and helps me see that there are so many good things in the world to be enjoyed.  And, she's a girlie girl :)  Who looks adorable in pigtails :) 

22. Old movies - I can probably recite every line in some of them but they still make me laugh.  And Christmas isn't complete without a couple screenings of Home Alone :)
23. Pandora - It keeps going through my work day and has great mixes for me to run to that keep me moving.  
24. Word puzzle books - Keeps me thinking and is a good distraction when I am bored that doesn't involve food.
25.  Candles - They make my whole house smell yummy!  Christmas Cookie is the best!
26.  Emma - Someone broke the mold when they made this girl.  She is hysterical.  Her zest for life, carefree attitude, hilarious one liners and infectious laugh are just a few of the reasons she makes up the 3rd piece of my heart.  I can't imagine life without her.  She makes the world a happier place.

27.  My ability to volunteer.  Working with Special Olympics gives me perspective, allows me to give back and has taught me so much about myself and how important it is to see the gifts everyone brings to the world.
28. Pinterest - Most of my workouts come from there and I love all the variety I find.  Took me awhile to get into using it but now I'm addicted.
29. Sleep.  Enough said.
30.  My ability to laugh at myself.  Without it, I wouldn't be navigating my way through this crazy life change.  And, it actually makes life that much more fun when you can laugh at yourself.  Well, and, I know I provide hours of entertainment to people with all my fun stories :) 

If you enjoyed this entry, stay tuned for Part 2 :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment