Sunday, February 9, 2014

Letting Go and Finding Me

It's not an easy journey to get to a place where you forgive people.  But it is such a powerful place, because it frees you.

I can speak from experience that this is true in so many ways.  Forgiveness is a powerful thing in this world.  It doesn't mean we forget what's happened to us.  It just means we've found a way to move on.  It took me awhile.  And I still have my moments where I look back on things, events or people and wonder, 'why me'?  But, I am happy to say it is completely possible to work your way through those moments and move on.  Now, those moments where I wonder why are few and far between.  To be honest, I don't really allow them to happen to me anymore.  When something crappy happens (which, I won't lie, still occurs), I get aggravated but I look for a solution.  I do my best to not let it affect me as a person or think the world is out to get me.  Because that is exactly where I used to go when things would happen.  Or when people were awful to me.  Forgiveness is an unbelievable gift to give yourself.  Without it, you won't be able to move on with your life.  I learned that the hard way.  But, it was the way I was meant to figure it all out.  Which leads me to this - 

You can never regret anything you do in life. You kind of have to learn the lesson from whatever the experience is and take it with you on your journey forward.

For such a long time, I never could figure out why I wasn't happy with my life.  Looking back, I think part of the reason is because I wasn't allowing myself to learn the lessons I needed to learn to move forward.  As I started to realize there were positive things I could take with me from every experience of my life, I started to move forward.  I stopped regretting being friends with people that maybe didn't turn out to be the best people to surround myself with.  Every relationship I've had in my life has taught me some sort of lesson that I am now so immensely grateful to have learned.  I stopped believing that the world was out to get me.  I figured out that every one has to go through different events in his/her life to truly come out on top and be the person he/she is supposed to become.  If you regret things, you'll never completely understand why the experiences have been a part of your life.  Take the lesson with you.  It will help you grow as a person in ways you could never have imagined.

The only journey is the one within.

I've been on quite the adventure of self-discovery over the last year.  You know what the best part is?  I've finally figured out that my journey is just beginning.  I have so many fun things to look forward to.  Because I've finally let go of my past and all the things that have brought me down, I can be genuinely happy every day.  I honestly can't even begin to tell you how much I've changed and discovered about myself in the last year.  If you ask my family, friends who knew me a year ago, etc., I think you would be in shock at how much one person can change in a year yet still remain true to who she's always been as a person.  The great parts of me just stand out more now than they ever did.  I hope.

The journey you go on from the time you are born makes you into the person you are.  It's those experiences you have that make your life and adventure unique.  No one (not even your mother - love you mom!), will be able to truly understand how certain events in your life have shaped into the person you've become.  But, it all happened for a reason.  You are exactly where you are supposed to be.  I know that now.  And I know I am in charge of my future.  I can't wait to see where it takes me!


Thank you for helping me find myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment