Sunday, February 2, 2014

Last Year at This Time #3

Okay, so by this time last year, I had survived the first week of completely changing everything about my food.  Too bad I had eaten the same dinner 4 out of 5 nights... Remember, I can't cook and I hate the grocery store.  Plus recipes confuse the crap out of me.  Probably not the best combination when trying to learn how to eat healthy.  But, that's where the funny stories start to come in.  I've probably already told some of these but as I reflect on where I was a year ago, it's fun to relive them :)  You can thank my rainman memory for these stories....Normal people may not remember all of this....

Renee' had said that maybe we could get together over the weekend to talk about some next steps in my plan and stuff.  I was definitely willing but I still couldn't completely understand why she wanted to take time out of her weekend to help me.  Now, I realize that it's because we were building a friendship.  Took me awhile to completely trust that.  Not because I didn't trust her but, because of all my insecurities that related to pretty much everything about me as a person.  

If she'd only known what she was getting herself into...

So, we met at a coffee shop and I got there first.  I just sat down and played on my phone for a few minutes.  I remember when she got there she told me I looked happy.  That made me smile and kinda put me at ease.  After all, much as I trusted her, I still wasn't 100% comfortable.  Just takes me awhile.  Funny thing is, she already knew that, she just never told me she did (she's sneaky like that at times - but it's fun and good for me).  So, we talked for a few minutes but I don't remember exactly what about and then she started talking about food.  I'm sure my eyes got pretty wide right away.  She just looked at me and said, 'you have no idea what to do, right'.  I just nodded my head and smiled and kinda laughed at myself.  

As she started talking about different things I could make, she kept saying I would need something called a garlic clove.  I just smiled and nodded...I didn't have a clue...shocker, right?  I figured I could handle baking chicken.  But then she said something about a quesadilla and other stuff.  Man, I was so lost.  I knew I already seemed pretty dumb about food so I just kept listening and trying to understand what she was talking about.  Didn't take her long to catch on to the fact that I wasn't sure what she was saying.  (She's pretty smart like that).  That's when she got to test out her drawing skills... I had pictures of pots and pans, different kinds of ingredients and very specific directions on how to cook a couple of different things.  With the specific directions, I thought I could sorta figure it out.  Finding the ingredients would be a different story but I'll save that for another entry...

We got ready to leave after a couple of hours (I'm telling you, it did not feel like that long, at least to me.) That was just another clue (of many) to me that this was probably going to turn out to be so much more than I ever thought it would be.  She asked me if I wanted anything, I shook my head no (mostly because I had no clue what I would even order and I wasn't a coffee fan).  She convinced me to try green tea.  Ummm, yeah, no clue what that was... Took me a couple of tries to get the tea bag out....and I think I proceeded to take about 3 hours to drink it.  Definitely an acquired taste - But now I like it :)

Fast Forward a year...

It's Super Bowl Sunday and I actually made some soup all by myself and put a couple containers in the freezer so I don't have to eat it all this week.  I did a lot of other things too but this is quite a change from a year ago.  I might actually turn on the super bowl, I've eaten two meals already and get to have a snack soon and I already know what I'm making for dinner.  Oh, and there's no oreos in my house!

Hope everyone enjoys the game!  I'll have at least one more entry that reflects on last year - maybe more :)



No comments:

Post a Comment