Thursday, February 13, 2014

My Week Away From the Gym - Part 2

Taking a break from the gym and working out has been interesting so far.  I'm in my 3rd day of my week away from the gym.  It's been fun and weird at the same time.  My days have been fairly normal.  Nothing about my eating has changed (maybe I should say not yet...).  I never know what's coming my way - but it's fun!  

Yesterday it felt so strange to not pack a bag to go to the gym after work.  I felt like I was breaking some kind of rule by not working out.  Much as I definitely haven't been giving 100% in the recent past, working out is so ingrained in me and my routine that I wasn't sure what to do with myself.  Wednesdays are usually the day I go run on the treadmill or, when it's nice out, at the park.  I came right home after work and changed my clothes.  Don't worry, I didn't put my pajamas on.  Even though I'm taking a break from the gym, I still have to (and I want to) be active.  So, I put some sweats on, bundled up and went out for walk.  I had to walk in the street because of all the snow but it was sunny, not windy and, since it's been -15 for most of the winter, the temperature of 32 actually felt warm to me.... Sad, I know.  But, the fresh air felt great.  It was a leisurely walk.  A route that usually takes me 30 to 35 minutes when I'm going at full speed took me around 45 minutes.  I got home at 430 and thought to myself, what do I do now?  I could be lazy and sit on the couch for the next 6 hours before going to bed.  Or, I could go to the grocery store. 

Everyone knows that grocery store is one of my least favorite places.  That's why I avoid it on the weekends.  Renee' had given me a cookbook to look through.  Sometimes, I think she does that strictly for her own amusement.  But, I don't care.  Because I spend so much time laughing at myself as I read recipes that have words and foods I've never heard of, it provides entertainment for me as well.  Surprisingly enough, I found a couple recipes that I understood (for the most part).  What I didn't understand was explained to me by my awesome friend and co-worker, Kira.  She even sent me a picture of what the jar of minced garlic looks like so I could buy that instead of those stupid garlic cloves.  By the way, even though I know what they are, I still have no idea what to do with them.... Yes, I'm an idiot.  And I'm kinda okay with it :)  But, I'm getting off track.  Since I wanted to make something different, and I had plenty of time, I decided I would do my grocery shopping Wednesday night.  I went to a different store and managed to find most of what I needed.  That's always an accomplishment for me.  Maybe someday I'll draw a map for other clueless people ... but by the time I do that they'll move everything around and confuse me again!!

Imagine my surprise when what I made wasn't all that difficult to cook and it actually turned out good!  It made 4 servings so I put a couple of them in the freezer so I would have dinner a couple of days next week.  I think I made pretty good use of my time.

I got to go to boot camp today which was fun.  I can hold two 20 lb weights.  I just can't do anything with them.  Maybe someday.  So, now, I'm not going to 'workout' until Tuesday.  Let's see how my body reacts to this.  I think I'm going to go swim a little bit tomorrow just to do something active but different and not too taxing.  

I convinced my sister-in-law to try a yoga class with me this weekend.  I have a feeling that may lead to quite the entertaining blog entry.  But, I'm looking forward to trying it.  And, I'm not going by myself which makes me much more comfortable.   Renee' knows better than to think I'd go by myself... But I knew I'd be in trouble (not really, but you know what I mean) if I didn't at least try it.  I don't think Zumba is going to happen... I do not have enough rhythm for that stuff!  

I will say, as strange as this has been so far, it's also felt good and been freeing.  I know I'll look forward to going back to the gym at some point but, by doing this, I am hoping I will be able to see that when you get burnt out, it's okay to take break.  That's when you should try something new and mix it up.  As I've said, I don't like new things or situations.  But, leave it to my awesome friend to push me and convince me to try something... I still don't know how she does that but, again, it all comes from trust.  Well, and knowing that I'll have some funny stories to tell....I hope there isn't a camera in the yoga place...

I think this quote describes this week for me - 

To achieve something you've never had before, you must do something you've never done before.

Stay tuned as my weeklong adventure continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment