Friday, February 7, 2014

The Trick - Exercise Edition!

Although I firmly believe that nutrition is at least 80% (if not more) of the so called "trick" to weight loss and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, I also know that exercise is the rest of the equation and is so important in so many ways.  I've had a lot of people say to me, 'but I hate exercising', 'I don't have time to exercise', 'I can't afford to join a gym', etc.  So, here are some of my thoughts on those excuses (because, let's be honest, that's what they are....)

If you hate to exercise - 

I'm thinking you probably haven't tried everything that's out there.  Everyone is different.  We all enjoy different things.  Working out doesn't have to mean that you spend hours on the treadmill or the elliptical staring at the clock and watching the time slowly tick by (Yes, even I've done that at times).  There are so many kinds of classes out there that you can try.  There's spinning, zumba, aerobics, kickboxing, yoga, pilates, etc.  If you are willing to try different things, I am willing to bet you will find something you enjoy.  Plus, you might meet some new friends :)  Me - I like cardio at the gym for the most part.  I also change it up by enjoying boot camp twice a week and taking a fitness class offered through the school district I work for.  

If classes and cardio equipment aren't your thing, there are also tons of DVD's out there that you can buy and do in the privacy of your own home.  You can start at the beginning and work your way up.  So many people do this that now you'll find that the instructor of the video also gives you a modified version of the exercises they are doing.  There area so many different types out there that I would bet you'll find something you like to do.  Plus, if you have kids, you can get them involved in doing it with you.  I know my brother tells me that my nephew (who is only 5) likes to try to do different workout exercises with him at times.  (Wall sits are probably a lot easier when you're that young and have a ton of energy!).  So, while you create a healthy habit for yourself, you'll also be spending quality time with people you love and/or showing your family how being healthy is important in so many ways.

If you don't think you have time to exercise - 

Just commit to ten minutes a day to start off with.  You can get up 10 minutes earlier in the morning, right?  I'll be honest, that would be hard for me because I am not a morning person.  But I have the luxury of exercising after work.  I will say though, when I get to exercise in the morning, I have so much energy to start my day.  Just 10 minutes.  If you want to wait until after work, just make sure you don't sit down.  I go directly to the gym or workout right after work.  If I sit down, I know it will be hard for me to get moving again.  You'll be amazed at what taking a little time for yourself does for you as a person.  It will allow you to clear your head, have some "me" time and is just a great way to de-stress.  

If you can't afford to join a gym - 

Believe me, I get it.  But, don't let this keep you from exercising.  Do you have a computer or phone with internet access?  You would be amazed at all the workouts you can find on you tube.  What an easy way to work out in your basement.  If they require equipment, you can often find things around your house to use.  Or, go to a sporting goods store and buy a couple of different weights of dumbbells.  Often, you can do all the routines with some dumbbells.  

When you really want to change your life, you'll find a way to make it work.  I learned that lesson.  I was finally ready to stop throwing excuses out there and just go for it.  And, know what?  I feel like the best version of myself that I can ever remember.  

Nutrition puts healthy stuff in my body and allows me to keep moving so I can be fit, healthy and happy - The three keys to life in my opinion!


Nutrition + Fitness = THE TRICK :)


No comments:

Post a Comment