Saturday, February 15, 2014

My Week Away From the Gym - Part 3

So, the last two days haven't been all that different with the exception of the exercise piece of my life.  But, that has become such a big part of my life in the last year, there have been moments where I say to myself, 'I feel like I forgot to do something'.  

Since I am supposed to be active still, yesterday I decided to go swimming for a little bit.  Of course the weather was trying to not cooperate, as more freaking snow started falling a little after lunch time.  Luckily it wasn't really sticking yet so I was still able to go to the Y.  If you've read this blog or know me, you know I have always loved the water.  My mom had me in the pool when I was 6 months old and I've been a fish ever since.  There is just something about the water that has always felt extremely calming to me.   I help with a special olympics swim team and I've taught swim lessons for a couple of years.  But, just like I do with other things, I got burnt out from being in the water.  In fact, up until yesterday, I don't think I've been in a pool since the summer.  Again, if you know me, you know that's pretty rare.  I just haven't had much of a desire to get in the pool.  In fact, I still don't have a big desire to jump in.  Number one, it's cold outside.  And, number 2, it's cold outside.  I swim in a warm water pool but still, who wants to jump in a pool when it's snowing??   I could have used the weather as an excuse and just gone home and curled up under a blanket.  But, I wanted to keep my end of our agreement and not "workout" but still be active. So, I packed up my swimsuit and all the junk I needed to swim and take a shower afterwards.  I just swam for a half hour.  I don't even know how many laps I swam.  But, it felt good and was relaxing.  I was so happy I took my chances with the weather and went.  Completely worth it.  The rest of the night I spent laying on the couch, watching the snow fall and catching up on some TV shows.  

So, I've had 4 days to try to come up with something to do today.  I had nothing.  Still don't.  So, I got my hair done and went out to run a bunch of errands.  At first I didn't really want to go walk around the mall.  But, as I finished my errands, I realized that if I went home I would just be laying on the couch doing absolutely nothing (and that is exactly what I'm doing right now).  So, I decided to give the mall a try.  I took some green tea with me and enjoyed just walking around for a half hour or so.  I gave in and bought a pair of pants but I actually needed them and found a good price.  The size that fit helped too :)  It felt good to walk around and just stretch my legs.  And, by doing that, I didn't feel guilty when I came home and plopped myself on the couch which is where I will probably stay for the remainder of the night.

Tomorrow, I try yoga... Oh lord, this is going to be interesting....  Renee' has taught me so many things but as I think about this yoga stuff for tomorrow, this one applies the best - 

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.  

Okay, if you say so....  Stay tuned for my description of this yoga adventure....

No comments:

Post a Comment