Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Family Picture Day

This past Sunday, we had family pictures taken.  Every time we've taken group pictures before, I always try to hide behind someone.  I mean, I've always been told I have a beautiful face or a pretty smile.  When you're heavy, even if the person saying those things doesn't mean it to, it often comes across as, that's the only thing about me that's pretty.  It can really fuel that lack of self-confidence.  I know it did in me.  So, to finally have a body that I am comfortable in and want to put in pictures is an unbelievable feeling. 

In fact, I had so much fun shopping for an outfit, I didn't know what to do with myself.  I didn't stick with dark colors because I didn't feel like I needed to hide anything.  In fact, I bought an orange scarf just so I could accent my outfit and stand out a little bit :)

It was fun to run through the park with the kids and know pictures were being taken that I wouldn't be embarrassed to look at in the years to come.  We captured memories and I was excited to be a part of the pictures for the first time in a long time.

Being happy is a feeling I wasn't sure I would ever experience.  I feel like that's a theme to this blog lately but it's the truth.  When you're happy, the rest of the world seems like a brighter place.  Don't get me wrong, I still get mad at people going 20 mph in a 35 mph zone but it doesn't ruin my day anymore.  Funny enough, stupid things like that used to make me mad for a majority of the day.  Now, I yell at them through my windshield, laugh at myself and move on with my day :).  Yes, I'm that person and I'm okay with it!

As a Christmas present last year, we had pictures taken for my parents.  Just for fun, here is a picture of me from last year at the beginning of December - 



It's hard for me to even look at that picture of myself.  I know how unhappy I was in so many aspects of my life.  On the contrary - here is one from this past weekend - I love looking at this picture and seeing the happiness in my eyes.


“Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.” 

I know I still have a long ways to go but I can't wait to see what the future holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment