Friday, November 22, 2013

I'm Thankful For....Part I

So, a lot of my friends on Facebook are doing the thing where they list something they are thankful for each day.  I love the concept.  And I enjoy reading what they are thankful for.  I feel like I learn about people I may not know much about.  Instead of writing something every day this month that I am thankful for, I'm going to put a different twist on the concept.  Since the end of January, I have lost 93 pounds.  So, I am going to list 93 things I am thankful for.  I believe there will be multiple editions of this blog entry as I'm not confident in my ability to think of 93 things in one night.  And, as a bit of a challenge/reward to myself, if I lose any more weight this week, I will do a separate entry and add to the list based on the number of pounds I lose.  I'm going to try to be a little creative.  By the way, this is in no particular order! Enjoy :)

1.  I'm thankful for this woman, my mama.  She gave birth to me, raised me and has been there for me through all the ups and downs in my life.  I love you mom, more than you'll ever know.

2.  Blankets - they keep my feet warm when I'm laying on the couch since I'm too lazy to put on socks.
3.  My couch.  We've spent many hours together and I thoroughly enjoy the naps I take while laying on it :)
4.  My DVR - I wouldn't watch TV without it.
5.  Pedicures - For so many reasons
6.  My daddy.  We've had our ups and downs and we don't always agree on everything but I couldn't ask for a better man to call my dad.  He is always there for me, helps fix things at my house so I don't have to pay someone and offers more sound advice than I could ever ask for (and sometimes don't want to hear no matter how right he may be - and usually is).
7.  Summer vacations as a kid to Lake Hartwell, Georgia and Churchville, New York.  Without them, I wouldn't be the person I am or have so many amazing memories of the time I was blessed to spend with my grandparents.
8.  The many memories of driving in "the van" for those vacations.  Andy, Ang and I created countless memories with the captain's chairs turned backwards while watching TV shows on our black and white tv.  Pioneers of having TV in the car thanks to Papa Schur!
9.  My experiences, the good and the bad, in high school.  I wouldn't be the person I am without them.  And I think they help me do my job and relate to high school students better than I ever thought I could.
10.  Trains.  This is also part of Churchville, New York.  For hours my grandpa would sit at the train tracks with us when we were visiting waiting for the trains to go by.  I always knew he was special but I don't think I realized how important that time was to him as well as to me, Andy and Ang.  I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world and, to this day, and probably forever, I always blow a kiss to the sky when I hear a train or go over railroad tracks.
11.  This girl.  BEST. SISTER. EVER.  She may be younger than me, but she is mature beyond her years.  She makes me laugh constantly (just ask about the latest "Angie-isms") and is one of my biggest fans in my life.  The many nights we spent "talking" after we were supposed to be in bed, barbie dolls, my little pony, the list is endless.  I couldn't be more thankful for you Ang.
12.  Microwaveable sweet potatoes.  Well, I think.  I haven't tried to cook one yet so I'm not sure if I can screw something that simple up ;)
13.  My ability to laugh at myself as I try to figure out this thing people call cooking.
14.  To Renee' for drawing me pictures of bowls and pans and trying to explain to me what different ingredients are....she's still trying and hasn't given up on me - and she laughs at me and with me - that's a true friend!
15.  The 9 years I spent at RHS.  I created some wonderful friendships and learned so much about myself.  I had my ups and downs but I wouldn't trade those 9 years for anything.
16.  My big brother.  He is seriously the most amazing, inspiring, wonderful guy I could ever ask to have in my life and my family.  Everyone should have a big brother - there's nothing like it!
17.  Razors that don't require shave gel - much less messy.
18.  Dark chocolate
19.  My heated mattress pad (in the winter)
20.  Fleece pajamas
21.  My sister-in-law.  I couldn't ask for someone better to call my "older" sister.  We're only 10 days apart in age and I love that we are friends and she's a member of my family.  Other than the kids, the best decision my brother ever made!
22.  Google
23.  Random facts of the day from Google.
24.  The opportunity I have been given at Fairfield to do a job I love and the amazingly fun and awesome people I get to work with every day.  
25.  Jeans week at work
26.  My brother-in-law.  We have a lot in common, as we are both high school counselors.  I'm lucky that I can bounce things off of him in a professional way but I'm also so blessed that he is just like my brother.  He listens, offers great advice and, the best part, makes my sister the happiest I have ever seen her.  
27.  The ability to pre-bake chicken so I don't have to cook every night.
28.  Subway
29.  The ability to laugh at my ignorance with food and my inability to cook.
30.  Sunshine - even in the winter
31.  My cousin.  Although we don't see each other much (we live 9 hours away from each other) and we didn't grow up together, she is just like a sister to me one of my best friends.  She "gets me" and always has.  We are definitely cut from the same cloth and have so much in common.  We could talk for hours and not run out of things to say.  So funny to think that 20 years ago we were pen pals.  Guess that makes me old.  Oh well.  LYLASCYMFC Mere :)  So thankful you are in my life.

If you enjoyed this one - Stay Tuned for Part II :)

Be thankful for every person in your life, past, present and future because they will make you stronger, kinder, wiser and they are the people that make you who you are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment