Saturday, October 12, 2013

Living Life & Healthy Choices

If you remember, I've had some issues with my kitchen floor needing to be replaced.  The day had finally come for the crew to finish ripping out the floor and start putting the new one down.  I did not think this would take 3 days but, let me tell you, patience, kindness and gratitude do pay off.  I now have a brand new kitchen floor to enjoy.  For those of you who may not understand the significance of that, let me tell you, it is awesome!

Given that I had a bunch pf people in my house working on my floor, I decided I'd rather be close by and didn't go to the gym.  Luckily, the weather was gorgeous!!  So, I got changed and did a walk/jog around my neighborhood.  It felt so good to get out and move and breathe in the fresh air.  I'm telling you, being active has become a blessing in my life in so many ways.  It allows me to clear my head, have my "me" time, achieve goals and become a healthier person.  Amazing what giving yourself even 10 minutes a day can do for you as a person for the rest of the day.

So, you might be asking yourself, what does this girl do when faced with a restaurant menu?  Well, I ask myself that question a lot.  But, if you really are focused on eating healthy, it actually isn't quite as difficult as you may think to make healthy choices.  So, this time I was faced with the task of making healthy choices, I was at the Boathouse for a work luncheon.  For anyone not from Cincinnati, this is a place with delicious food!  I decided to order the chicken and, knowing it would be huge, made my co-worker promise to not let me eat it all.  Funny thing... I didn't need her to help me after all.  I ate about 1/3 of it (it was 1/4 of a chicken!!), along with my baked potato (w/just a little butter) and my salad.  Oh, I forgot the best part - when they were taking orders, they asked me what I wanted for dessert - Graeter's ice cream or chocolate marble cheesecake (remember, I LOVE sweets!) - I thought for a minute and, although difficult, told the waitress I didn't want any dessert - I was soooo proud of myself!

What would I do while everyone else ate dessert?  Well, I had planned ahead (a big key to my success).  I had some york peppermint patties with me and asked for some hot water to make my green tea.  It completely satisfied me.  8 months ago I would have eaten the cheesecake - no questions asked!  I don't have to deprive myself.  If I had really wanted the ice cream or the cheesecake, I would have ordered it.  But, I knew I didn't really want it.  I would have just eaten it because it was there and available.

The rest of the day I felt empowered by my choice at lunch.  Nice long walk in the gorgeous weather, dinner at subway on my way to the last regular season soccer game and a night of cheering on my siblings' teams.  I knew it was going to be another great week!

Well, I got to work on Wednesday and felt kinda funny.  Couldn't put my finger on it.  Less than an hour after I got there, my stomach was killing me and I couldn't focus on anything.  I decided I needed to go home and proceeded to fall asleep for about 2 hours.  I also took another nap later.  My reason for telling you this is because my food was definitely off all day.  I'm pretty sure I had a virus and I wasn't hungry at all.  Sometimes, when you're sick, you have to eat what your body needs.  I still made the best choices I could but I knew I needed to eat bland stuff.  Also, it was okay for me to not exercise that day.  My body was obviously trying to tell me something.  Luckily, it was a fairly short lived virus.  I was able to go back to work the next day.

Hard to believe but I've almost made it to the present day.  It's so fun and good for me (in so many ways) to share my story and journey with others.  It helps me stay accountable and also allows me to remember and reflect on all the amazing things that have happened since January.  I've accomplished weight loss goals (and I'm still going), met new people, become more social, found a new job, become a happier and healthier person and so many more things that I can't begin to list everything.  Thank you to everyone who has read through my entire story.  I'm excited to keep sharing all of my positive steps and accomplishments with everyone who is interested enough to keep reading :)


No comments:

Post a Comment