Sunday, January 12, 2014

Courage

"Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow'."

Sometimes days and/or weeks don't always work out the way you want them to.  You always start out with the best of intentions, goals, etc.  However, there is sometimes a higher power at work that can make days tough.  That's not a reason to throw in the towel.  It's a reason to do as the above quote says - Try again.  When you want to make happiness a part of your daily life, you will always have to try again tomorrow.  Even if you've had the best day ever, you always have to have courage to say I'm going to try to make tomorrow even better.

I would say 99% of my days and weeks are awesome nowadays.  How many people are lucky enough to say that?  Part of that is my mindset that I am choosing happiness over allowing someone or something else to dictate how I am going to feel.  I definitely had a bit of a down day last week.  But, as my sister-in-law says, I'm human and I'm going to have days like that.  I think it scared me for a minute because I know that is how I used to feel every day and I never want to go back to that.  I've come way to far to go backwards.  But - I am know I won't.  Just because I have a down day doesn't mean I am reverting back to my old self.  It just means I have to have the courage to figure out how I am going to make tomorrow better.  

One of the crazy parts of this for me is that I'm no longer trying to do this by myself.  Last year at this time, I would have medicated my feelings with a ton of candy and hibernated in my house thinking that would make everything all better.  It never did.  Now, even though I wasn't in the best mood (I'm still not 100% sure why...), I still had a good day at work because of how much I love my job and my awesome co-workers.  I went to my workout and just tried to have fun.  Although I was still in a funk, I made the best of the remainder of my day.  When Renee' called me that night, I realized again how much I was not alone in my life anymore.  I've always had my family but, sometimes, you need someone else outside of your family to help you see everything clearer.  I had seen her that afternoon and she told me she could tell just from looking at me that I was in a weird mood.  I wasn't surprised that she could see it.  We talked for awhile and it made me feel so much better.  I have a couple of awesome friends that have always been there for me.  However, I will say that my friendship with Renee' has made me want to be a better friend to everyone I'm around.  In less than a year, she's showed me what being a real friend means.  On top of everything else she's done for me, I can't thank her enough.  But, I don't have to.  And that is an amazing gift in itself.  

A year ago, this kind of day would have lasted for days as I harped on it.  I'm still not real sure why I was in such a funk.  The good news?  I woke up on Friday in a much better mood, had a great day and I've had an awesome weekend.  I'm back to my happy new self and I am even more confident in my ability to maybe not have the best day but come out of it on the other side without too much trouble because I have wonderful people in my life and standing by my side that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.  

Don't let one rough day get you down.  It's not worth it.  There's something good that will come out of it.  Might be a lesson, might be you meeting someone that you were supposed to meet for any number of reasons or something else.  Just know that every day, every moment, has a reason, a purpose.  And tomorrow will always be a better day.  For one reason or another :)  Find your inner strength.  It's the best gift you'll ever give yourself.  I'm still developing mine but every day I am thankful for what I've found and what I know I will continue to find as the days and weeks go on.

"Where there is no struggle, there is no strength"

No comments:

Post a Comment