Monday, January 6, 2014

December, Winter Break and More Updates

My motto for 2014: 

The 3 C's of life:
Choices, Chances and Changes.
You must make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change

I realize I've focused on a lot of quotes and thoughts so I decided it would be a fun to give everyone another update on my life.  I'm sure you're excited...but, I did promise to keep going with my story so that's what I'm going to do.

I didn't lose much weight in December but I did survive the holidays in ways I never thought were possible.  I had a few (three total) days of indulgent eating, managed to go out to eat a couple of times and still not gain any weight.  And I won't lie, I enjoyed the food :)  But, it's funny, I didn't eat anywhere near as much as I used to and I felt so full for so long after eating such different stuff.

I enjoyed going out to lunch, dinner, spending time with friends and family and just being happy.  I definitely didn't feel that way last year.  Or in a lot of the past years.

Christmas was so much fun.  We hung out, ate, opened presents and just enjoyed being together.  I love that my family is so close.  I don't know where I would be without them.  I enjoyed Christmas so much more this year than last year.  I wasn't in tears when I left my parents house and I was so excited for the day and then every day beyond.

One crazy thing that happened over my break from work?  I became a certified personal trainer.  What???  I didn't even really tell many people I was giving it a shot.  I just figured it would be something for me to do and that I might learn something.  Imagine my surprise, at the end of the test, when the final result was a passing score.  I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the certification but I hope I can find ways to help people who struggle with a lot of the same things I've been lucky enough to overcome.  I can push them and they can push me to keep being at my best.  It's been over a week and I'm still in shock that I passed.

I worked out every day over break and tried to keep myself focused on long term goals.  I am trying to do different workouts, shorter, more intense in an effort to confuse my body.  So far, it appears my body doesn't want to be confused.  And, although I got a little frustrated on New Year's Day, I didn't do what I've done in the past.  I didn't give up or revert back to my old ways and order pizza.  I went in my basement and did a workout.  Know what, I felt better afterwards.  And I realized, I have achieved so much.  I can't let the fact that the scale isn't moving distract me from other goals and accomplishments.  The old me never would have talked my way through that.  I would have found any junk food I could and eaten more than a small army to make myself feel better.  Like always, only a temporary fix.  Now, me talking myself out of a funk and learning to be happy for everything that has happened - a permanent fix.  And it feels amazing.

As I type this, I am enjoying an impromptu 17th day of winter break because of the extreme cold.  I'm loving being curled up under a blanket, on my couch, watching all the shows that I usually record.  At some point (probably tomorrow), I'm going to have to get back on schedule.  But, for now, I am enjoying being relaxed.  The funny part?  The thought of going back to work doesn't stress me out anymore.  Much as I love being off and having free time, I'm looking forward to seeing my co-workers at some point and hearing about their breaks.  I can't remember the last time I was able to say that.

Last year at this time, I did not take any before pictures.  So, as a way to document the start of 2014, I took this picture last week.  I can't wait to see what the year brings and what kind of picture I get to take on January 1st of 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment