Monday, January 13, 2014

Make a Change

So, it's about 2 weeks into 2014 and you may have already given up on your resolutions.  I hope not.  But, I know I've been guilty of that many times in the past.  Even if you've slipped up, just keep your mind on the end result.  If it helps, stop calling them resolutions.  Call them goals.

What's the difference?  In my opinion, many times resolutions refer to what you do at the start of the new year and not throughout the year.  On the other hand, goals can be made, achieved, altered, etc at any time of the year.  That's why I've learned to love goals.  They allow you to make changes at whatever pace you are comfortable with.  

When I started the process to completely change my life almost a year ago, my goals were very small.  In fact, my goals have stayed small throughout this whole process.  And I believe they will for a very long time.  Even after I reach my goal weight.  Or once I conquer some of my fears of being in various social situations.  And especially as I keep trying to learn how to cook.  Which, as we all know, is going to take years :)   Just know, as you start to check things off your list, you will feel empowered.  You will feel confidence in yourself that you probably haven't felt in a long time.  I know I do.

So, how do you make a change?

1. One step at a time.
2. Set realistic goals
3. Don't get down on yourself if you slip up or miss a deadline.  Just keep going!  You'll get there eventually.
4. Surround yourself with people who will support you.
5. Celebrate all of your successes, big and small.
6. Reward yourself when you reach a goal - in an appropriate way :)
7. If you have a fitness goal - find a buddy to work out with.  You can keep each other going to the gym.
8. If it's a life changing goal - take small steps.  Break it down into pieces
9. Figure out what works for you.  We are all different but we can all succeed in anything we set our minds to.
10. Don't be afraid to ask for help.  I used to be.  Now, I probably ask more questions than most other people.  But, it's how I learn and grow.
11. Believe that you can do anything!

I am already working on my goals for 2014.  It's been fun so far.  I have been smart enough to break them down into pieces.  I've made some long term and some short term goals.  I have confidence that I will reach most of them.  If I don't, I will reevaluate them, maybe extend my deadline date.  Remember, the deadlines you give yourself are self-imposed.  If you miss one, set a new deadline.  Once you start to see results of any kind, towards any goal, you won't want to go backwards.  You'll want to keep striving to see the end result.  I promise :)





No comments:

Post a Comment