Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Celebrating the Small Things

A co-worker and I went to a workshop where I went to college that week as well.  It was surreal to go back there after so many years.  Fun part?  Having enough energy to go up and down the stairs without being out of breath and not getting tired walking around the college fair to gather materials for our students.  We also went out to lunch and, when I would normally get something creamy, greasy and yummy, I settled for half of a sandwich (on wheat bread) and all I could eat salad.  It was actually good - and it satisfied me!  On top of that, I drank water with lemon instead of ordering a pop.... My how times have changed for me and my relationship with food.  Don't get me wrong, I still want to eat stuff that isn't good for me, especially pizza, but I've slowly realized that there are other ways to satisfy those cravings, sometimes with food, sometimes with something else.  If I really want to eat something, I take a few bites and then that usually satisfies my craving.  Funny thing... it doesn't happen very often :)

For some reason, that Wednesday, I remember being exhausted.  I texted Renee' and asked her for a suggestion of something to do at the gym because I had no ideas and didn't really feel like trying to make anything up...sometimes I think I should really stop asking these questions...but then I wouldn't be able to prove to myself that there are things I can do that I never thought I could.  She told me I should try a 1 mile run as fast as I can, take a break and then try to beat my time.  I thought she'd lost her mind....again. Me, run??  I had just started jogging!  But, I told her I would try.  She said I should trust her, that I could do it.  I told her I trusted her, but not myself!  So, I got on the treadmill and, surprise, I made it an entire mile with out stopping!  I was at a 5.5 speed and finished a mile in about 11 minutes (after warming up some).  The second time I pushed the speed up to 5.6 and did a mile in 10 minutes and 45 seconds.  That counts, right??  I was exhausted but it also felt exhilarating!

That week I was on the verge of hitting a huge milestone.  The previous week I had weighed in at (yes, I'm posting it) 201 pounds.  I didn't hit the number I wanted but I did manage to lose another pound and I was so excited!  Every pound is something to celebrate...remember that if you are just starting on a lifestyle change.  Renee' has reminded me of that more than a few times in the last 8 months and it has really helped me stay focused on my long term goals.

That night was another soccer game and I managed to get pictures with both my nieces and my nephew.  It was my way to document being down 81 pounds and how I loved having so much energy to run around and play with them.



They really are my favorite people in the world and they make everything I've done to be happier and healthier that much more meaningful.  I'm doing this for myself but also to be a more active part of their lives.  And to be a good example for them.  And, let me tell you, when they run up and grab my legs and yell, MIMI!!!, it makes my day 10x over and beyond.

There's so much more to my story and I can't wait to keep sharing with all of you :)


No comments:

Post a Comment