Monday, September 2, 2013

Seeing More and More Changes and Loving It!

At the beginning of May, I was really starting to notice a change in myself in so many ways.  I was happier, more energetic and feeling more and more like I wanted to be out in the world instead of hiding in my house.

For those who don't know me, several years ago I had lost a lot of weight at a fairly quick pace.  To make a long story short, I ended up passing out in the shower one morning and had to go to the emergency room.  I had been seeing my doctor because I felt like my heart was racing whenever I would exert myself.  They couldn't really figure out what was going on so I just kept on with my life.  The morning I passed out, I ended up being admitted to the hospital for 3 days.  They found that I was severely iron deficient anemic.  My hemoglobin level was about half of what a normal level is.  I had to take it easy for the next several weeks, take iron supplements and see several doctors to try to figure out what was going on.  They never did come up with an actual diagnosis.  I just had a rapid heartrate and I ended up on medicine for it.  Throughout the next several years, I slowly gained the weight back, trying yo yo diets here and there and losing some but then gaining all and some extra back.

So, by the beginning of May I'd been taking that medicine for about 7 years and it was something I never thought I would stop taking.  Guess my body had another idea.  I woke up one morning and was so dizzy I fell back into my bed - good thing it was still there!!  I called my doctor that day and he said that because I'd lost so much weight and this medicine also controls blood pressure, I probably needed to start weaning off of it or at least get a lower dose.  I was so excited!!  All of my efforts were paying off in more ways than one. For the next two weeks I took a pill every other day and I noticed a difference within the first couple of days.  Also exciting was the fact that my heart wasn't racing when I was exercising which is what started all of this in the first place.

Renee' asked me how I was feeling throughout the day - making sure that I wasn't feeling dizzy when I was working out, etc.  I told her I felt good but was getting bored with food (especially lunch).  She ended up sending me a few different ideas for lunch that were really good :)  Amazing how healthy food can actually taste good!

After an afternoon workout with Renee', my brother, sister and I met at a park and played with the kids for an hour or so.  It was sooo fun!  I love spending time with all of them and it was amazing how much more energy I had to chase them around.  I could only imagine what I would feel like by the summer.

That Thursday I stepped on the scale for my weekly "moment of truth".  However, I was actually starting to look forward to it instead of dreading it like I used to.  I hit 40 pounds!!  In less than 4 months I had lost 40 pounds.  Unbelievable.

I was actually looking forward to the weekend and the half marathon :)  Not sure when that mindset happened!

No comments:

Post a Comment