Monday, September 2, 2013

Half Marathon Time!

It's the first weekend in May.  Looks like it's going to rain on Sunday, the day of the Flying Pig.  Thankfully, it doesn't look like it will be pouring down rain.  Since I've done this twice before, I actually prefer that it be cloudy because walking 13 miles in the hot sun isn't very enjoyable!

I stayed at my parents house that night so mom and I could leave bright and early that morning.  For those who know me, I am not a morning person.  I have to set my alarm 15 minutes before I need to get up just so I won't be late to work!  My mom, on the other hand, can talk your ear off at 5 am.  So, I knew I had to be ready to go at 4:30 like she said.  We made our way downtown, found a place to park and walked to the starting area.  We had long time to wait for the 630 am start but we just passed the time by talking.  And, of course my mom saw someone she knew.  Everywhere we go she sees someone she knows :)  Since we were towards the back of the start groups (based on the time you thought you would finish), we didn't start til about 6:45.  Once we got going and worked our way out of the crowd, we were able to keep a good pace.  And it wasn't raining!


The first 6 miles or so took us about an hour and a half.  Then we came upon my "favorite" part of the course... the miles of hills.  But, I was going to try not to complain.  Mom and I just kept walking and didn't do much talking.  I think it took us a little over an hour.  I was definitely slowing down and running out of energy.  But, we kept going.  The rest of the course isn't too bad (downhill and flat) but by that point I was ready to be done.  We kept going, it started drizzling a little bit but I was feeling pretty good.  Looking forward to eating something!

Crossing the finish line was awesome.  And I finished in under 4 hours!  Way under my estimate for myself.  Couldn't believe it.  Such a fun moment.

The real adventure turned out to be finding the car.  I think mom and I walked around for about 20 minutes trying to find the right garage.  Turns out downtown is just as confusing as the grocery store.... But we found our way and eventually made it home.  I didn't move from the couch the rest of the day.... But I was so proud of myself!

This was just the beginning of so many good things :)

No comments:

Post a Comment