Saturday, September 7, 2013

More Great Things!

The last few days of work are usually for finishing up some work, cleaning out files, etc.  It's pretty boring but has to be done.  Then something major happened.  My friend told me about a job opening at a school thisclose to my house.  I was in no way looking for a new job, but I was intrigued.  I'd have an opportunity for a change, new experience, to meet new people, and to work about a mile from my house.  However, I was also totally freaked out at the thought of leaving a place that I was so comfortable.  I had been at my job for 9 years.  Was I really ready for such a huge change and leap of faith?

Of course, I started to come up with excuses, I didn't have a resume, I have too many years of experience, etc.  But deep down I wanted to apply.  I mean, if I didn't get it, I wouldn't lose anything.  I'd gain some experience and be able to know that I went after something I wanted - which I never would have done a year ago.

Mostly through text message, I talked to my brother and sister to see what they thought - I've always trusted their opinions and they know me so well.  Both had good points and, ultimately, thought I should go for it.  I also asked Renee' what she thought (I really trusted her thought process - and still do).  She said kind of the same thing I was telling myself - what's the harm in trying?

Of course, since I hate making decisions I was still going back and forth.  I watched my niece that Friday night for a couple of hours and was able to talk to my sister and brother-in-law a little bit more about it.  They both really encouraged me to apply.

In the end, I decided to apply.  Putting together a resume for the first time in over 9 years was a bit of a daunting process.  But I also knew I had so many skills and experiences that would make me a great candidate for the job.  I started to work on it that weekend and decided I would send it in the following week.  I was scared to death but excited at the same time....

In the middle of all of this, I was still going strong on my adventure to change the rest of my life.  Wednesday was my last day of work for the school year.  I was able to go swimming with the kids that afternoon and get a good workout in before teaching swimming that night.  On Thursday, I lost another pound and realized how close I was to meeting that next goal.  I had lost 54 pounds and 58 was totally within my reach by the time we were scheduled to leave for vacation.

It was really nice outside that week so I told Renee' I would probably go for a walk on Friday morning to enjoy the fresh air.  She had a different idea - she thought I should try a walk/jog - every minute, on the minute.  I don't like to run.  I never have.  But, I knew I would eventually have to try it if I wanted to continue seeing success.  So, I agreed.  In the morning I went to a super flat walk/bike path near my house.  I ended going for an hour of walking for a minute then jogging for a minute!  I couldn't believe I was able to do it - and I didn't fall over.  That was my message to Renee' when I got done... I'm still standing so I would call it a success :)  I was exhausted but so proud of myself.

That was just the beginning of what I knew was going to be the best summer I've had in a long time.  I was so excited to think of all the things I wanted to do and was going to be able to do.  I was starting to feel like a completely different person and in the best way ever!  And the great things would keep coming my way...


No comments:

Post a Comment