Friday, September 13, 2013

Summer Days ... Full of Good Times!

Typically coming home from vacation is a huge letdown for me.  I get used to being around my family every day all day.  The craziness of being around the kids and just having fun makes it one of the best weeks all year.  So, to come home to complete silence has been a bit of an emotional challenge for me in the past.  This year was different.  I knew I would find ways to stay busy and still be able to be around my family and friends.  It's amazing what having a clear head, self-confidence and being happy with myself has done for my ability to be okay with being alone at times.

Plus, I think, well actually I know, my family realized how important it was to me to spend time with them.  The Monday after we got back, I went to the zoo with my brother, sister, brother-in-law, mom and the 3 kids.  It was a blast!  I absolutely love seeing the world through their eyes.  And, even though it was stupid hot (we enjoyed walking through the "cool zones" quite often that morning), I was amazed at how being 63 pounds lighter and healthier made walking around the zoo, chasing the kids, etc so much more enjoyable.  I was able to wear a pair of gym shorts and a tank top - which I hadn't done in years - and feel completely comfortable with myself.  Like I've said before, it's the little things that I notice more than anything.

Since I had to go in for a final interview for the new job, I needed to go shopping the next day.  I figured they probably wouldn't want me to show up in sweatpants or a sundress and, since those are the only clothes I owned, I went out and bought something.  When I fit into a size 14 pants, I almost cried.  I couldn't believe it.  If you've every struggled with your weight, you'll understand what that moment felt like for me.  Amazing doesn't even describe it.

That Thursday was my "date" day with my nephew.  I had promised him all summer that we would spend a day together.  There is a place called Entertrainment Junction near where we live and he loves it there.  When I asked him where he wanted to go for our day together, that was his first choice.  My friend ended up meeting us there with her little boy and we had a blast.  We walked around, looked at the trains, played with the display stuff, etc.  One moment I'll never forget is when my nephew climbed way up in the jungle gym, couldn't quite figure out how to get down and I had to climb up to help him.  In January, I wouldn't have fit in the area I had to climb up to get to him nor would I have been able to actually make the climb.  Made me feel good - and yes, he got down just fine! :)  The picture below is from that day.  I can just see the happiness in my own eyes.


We went to Skyline for lunch and I had salad while he enjoyed his chili cheese sandwich.  We made a trip to Orange Leaf to get some frozen yogurt and then I took him back to my brother.  It was such a fun day!  Oh, and to make it even better, I'd lost another 4 pounds, even while on vacation for 10 days!

My life, in just 6 months, had done a complete 180.  I couldn't believe how happy I was, full of life and just enjoying every day moments.  And, much to my happiness and surprise, things would just keep getting better!!

No comments:

Post a Comment