Thursday, September 5, 2013

Hitting a milestone - So Fun!

It's the last week in May and in the midst of everything I was already changing, I had decided I wanted to try to sell my condo.  Through some conversations with Renee' and a couple of other people, I was realizing how isolated I felt at home.  When I bought my condo, my parents lived 5 minutes away and my brother lived 15 minutes away.  I had friends who lived within a 5-15 minute drive and I was only 20 minutes from work.  Perfect.

Then everyone started moving to other parts of Cincinnati.  One by one, I felt more and more alone but I hadn't admitted that to myself until recently.  There wasn't anyone's door I could go knock on or call up and ask them to meet me for a walk or something.  I was really alone. Plus, I spend so much time with my family in other parts of Cincinnati that it, in the long run, it would probably save me money on gas!   I decided, with some encouragement, that if I could sell my place, I could move kind of halfway between my family and work.  Like I've said before, I have the best family and they all pitched in to help me fix a few things and make it look even better.

I was also close to hitting 50 pounds.  The previous week I'd hit 47.  Renee' was actually the one who first put the idea of 50 in my head.  I really didn't think it would happen that week.  Imagine my surprise when it did .... :)  I think I cried a little, laughed a little, smiled a lot and wanted to jump up and down but I still wasn't allowed to jump!  I don't think anyone was able to wipe the smile off my face all day!  In 4 months I had lost 50 lbs.  I've said it before, it's unbelievable what can happen when you look at all aspects of your life and decide to make a change.

I remember that Thursday I went for a walk outside and it was really hot!  Imagine my surprise when I put a pair of shorts on and walked a few miles in them?!?!  If you don't know me, you'll hardly ever see me in shorts.  I'm just not comfortable in them.  But to know that I was comfortable in them and able to walk was the most amazing feeling!  I'm telling you... it's the small things!

That weekend my brother brought his kids over while he worked on a few things at my condo.  I was laying on the ground playing with a 5 year old and a 1 year old and it was amazing how I wasn't uncomfortable at all.  I could get up and down easily and my nephew and I played tag in my basement - and I enjoyed it!

The most memorable part of that weekend was cleaning out my closet.  At that point, I only had 2 days left where I had to dress up.  So, I got the garbage bags out and cleaned almost all of my clothes out of my closet :)  Everything was too big.  In fact when I looked at my closet after I was done, I had more empty hangers than I did clothes.  It made me smile like you wouldn't believe.  I would be living in sundresses and sweat capris all summer.  And shopping for a whole new work wardrobe come August.  It was probably one of the most gratifying experiences of my life to drop all of those bags off at Goodwill.

Now I get to go shopping!!  The next week would be a busy one but it was my last full week for the school year.  4 months, 50 pounds less, putting myself out there a little more every day and still so many more exciting things to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment