Friday, September 6, 2013

Last Full Week of Work ... Summer on the Horizon!

June had finally arrived!  If you work in education - It's like waiting for Christmas to arrive when you are 6 years old!  I love what I get to do every day.  Working with teenagers is so fun.  I get to see them go from young teenagers to young adults ready to go out in the world and make something out of their lives.  It is a really cool feeling.  And it was amazing to me how all the changes I had made over the last 4 months were allowing me to enjoy my job more every day.  But, 2 months of freedom was within reach and I couldn't have been more excited!

Renee' and I were still communicating regularly and I was still sending her my food journal every night. What started as me being unsure what I was getting myself into, but knowing that I needed to change things, had turned into an awesome friendship that I feel so lucky to have in my life.  

That week was a busy one.  As I mentioned before, I teach swim lessons as something a little extra to do and the summer session started that week.  It was funny how my priorities had changed.  I had to be in the pool at 5:30 so I made sure I got home from work in time to go for a walk before I had to leave.  One of the little things I noticed with teaching... I was able to hop out of the pool without using a ladder for the first time in years!  I had so much more energy and was excited to be there.  

Wednesday was graduation which meant I would be at rehearsal most of the day and would spend the rest of the afternoon walking around Oxford because I didn't want to waste time and gas driving home.  During rehearsal I am on my feet a lot and running around, getting extra chairs, putting signs up, etc.  This year I wasn't tired.  After the kids left, I had a couple of hours to kill.  I actually went to a restaurant and had lunch by myself - which never would have happened the previous year.  I also went to Starbucks, had some green tea and read on my Kindle for a couple of hours.  And I wasn't uncomfortable.  I did do a little people watching but, who wouldn't in that situation :)  I couldn't believe I did all of that all by myself.  This is from somone who (still, to this day) hates situations where she doesn't know anyone.  Amazing what a little self-confidence can do for a person.

Since I didn't really get a chance to exercise on on Wednesday that week, I wasn't expecting much from my weigh in that week.  The scale had a different idea - 3 more lbs!  I was in absolute shock that I was only 5 lbs away from my next goal and I had a month to get there.  And I still hadn't eaten sushi again... ;)

Of course at this point, Renee' started trying to get me to eat new foods.  As you know by now, I don't understand food.  She mentioned something called mahi mahi... I just said, 'more fish??'..  which also would mean more recipes... I still haven't tried it or found recipes for it - Avoidance is a difficult thing to get rid of sometimes!  

That weekend I remember being a busy one - Supervising the ACT, trying to finish things up to get the condo on the market, babysitting my favorite little kids (all in one day)... I even made fish for my dinner when I babysat the kids and my nephew looked at me and said, Mimi, what is that awful smell??  It made me smile because I totally agree with him that it smells bad.  I told him it was my dinner and he made a face that looked a lot like the one I used to make whenever a certain someone would mention fish...

Sunday was the first meeting of the book club I joined.  I wasn't anywhere as nervous as I thought I would be.  I actually beat my friend to the restaurant and introduced myself to two people I had never met - That's quite an achievement for me.  Once everyone was there, we ordered appetizers (well, I didn't) and talked for a long time.  Although I didn't say a lot (still working on that confidence thing...), I did talk a little bit and I had the best time.  They all are so nice and really funny.  They had me laughing most of the night!  

I couldn't believe how much I was enjoying being around people again and I loved how I felt comfortable in my own skin again.  Little did I know, it was just the beginning!


No comments:

Post a Comment