Monday, September 23, 2013

Find What Makes You Happy

I fully expected to not be able to move the next day.  After all 80 reps of a bunch of exercises I've never done before is bound to make anyone sore.  I woke up the next morning and, surprisingly, I was able to get out of bed!  My sides and my arms were definitely sore but nothing compared to what I expected.  Of course I told Renee' and she said, well then 100 reps next time.  Maybe I should learn to keep my mouth shut.... :)

My friend Kim and I have known each other for years but we hardly ever see each other - life just gets in the way.  So, when she told me she was going to be out my way for a couple of hours that afternoon, I made sure I would get to see her.  I think at that point it had been 4 months!  When I walked into her mom's house (who probably hadn't seen me since January), she said, oh my gosh, how much weight have you lost?? Let me tell you, that never gets old!  Yes, this whole lifestyle change is about a lot more than weight loss but seeing the reaction of people is the best feeling in the world.  Kim and I were able to talk for awhile and she told me she could see the happiness in my face.  Even though she had seen pictures, she couldn't believe how different I look in person.

That weekend I wasn't sure what I was going to do for a workout.  Renee' gave me something to try at home (which involved nothing but my body weight) and it was hard!  But it was also a great workout.  

The rest of the day, I decided it was time for me to go on a scavenger hunt for more of the stuff Renee' keeps telling me to buy... I made my first visit to GNC (there's some strange stuff there...) but I found the protein powder I was supposed to buy and the other thing I was looking for.  Well, I had to ask the guy who was working there to help me, but at least I wasn't afraid to do that!  Then I was told I should go to Walgreens and look for something called a good greens bar.  I think she just wanted to hear about my wandering around another store, but, I'm willing to laugh at myself, so I went.  I had to ask someone where they were so I only wandered for about 10 minutes - In a store the size of Walgreens that's probably pretty average for a person like me.

That Saturday night was a soccer game and my whole family was there, which is awesome.  We played with the kids, caught up and cheered Mason on to another victory :)  My favorite part - taking this picture that I called my 80 lbs less picture -

I had bought that t-shirt when I was in Mexico 5 years ago and I think this was probably only the 2nd or 3rd time I'd been able to wear it.  On top of that, I had cleaned out my drawers and had another 4 bags of clothes to donate to Goodwill.  From all of the clothes I was donating, something else began to dawn on me - I definitely used to use shopping as a way to make myself feel better.  Know what's awesome??  Now I don't need material things to make me happy.  Well, I still need new clothes but definitely no where near as many as I used to have!  There are so many other things that can make me happy.

For me, being around fun, caring, thoughtful, funny, honest and sincere people makes me happy.  It makes me believe in myself more and more each day.  I've had a lot negativity surround me at different times and in different areas of my life so, it is the best feeling to be surrounded by positive energy.  I don't feel the need to self-medicate with food or material things.  It's just like any other addict - I used those things to make myself feel happy when they were just a temporary fix.

To be happy on a daily basis is an unbelievable feeling - Honestly, I can't really describe it except to say I hope to feel this way for the rest of my life.  I was looking forward to the week ahead, knowing that great things would continue to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment