Follow by Email

Monday, September 2, 2013

I Walked 13.1 miles ... Now What??

For anyone who has ever trained for something, when it's over, sometimes there is a bit of a letdown.  It's kinda like after the holidays are over or when a sports season ends for one of your kids.  So, I was a little worried that once the Pig was over I wouldn't have much to work towards.

Good thing I had already set a new goal for my weight loss and that I had Renee' to kick me in my butt.  Well, she never kicked me but telling her what I ate every day held me accountable.  It still does.  If you are thinking about changing your lifestyle - I'm not allowed to call what I'm doing a diet - definitely keep a food journal and find someone who can give you feedback.  Like I said, I've lost weight before but it was usually just by "cutting back" and trying to work out a little more.  I think that's why I always gained the weight back.  I never truly changed what I was putting in my body until I started getting feedback on why certain foods were better than others.  I still don't know much about food but I'm learning - however slow the process might be!

My new goal (which I couldn't believe I was actually making) was to lose another 20 pounds by the time we left for vacation on July 3rd.  If I made it, I would be just shy of 60 pounds....

So, the week after the pig, I took Monday off of work. Good thing I did, I think I slept for 12 hours Sunday night!  My legs and back were sore but overall I didn't feel too bad.  I definitely could have laid around on the couch all day (I probably deserved to) but I asked Renee' if going to the gym just to move a little bit would be a good idea.  She said yes so I did the elliptical (slowly) for about 30 minutes.  It definitely helped with the soreness.  I did some stretches she suggested (except for yoga - that whole flexibility thing isn't a strength of mine) and I felt good.  I confess, I laid around the rest of the day :)

The week after the Pig was staff appreciation week which means - free food galore!!  I made a promise to myself that I would just stay away from all of it!  Anytime something was put in my mailbox, I gave it away to an office aide.  Tuesday was a conference day so I couldn't go to training that day.  I had to go out and get dinner between the start of conferences and the end of the school day.  The school was providing dinner of some kind but I knew I would get myself in trouble if I ate it.  So, I made my way to Panera, grabbed a sandwich and, instead of the cookie they offered me, got some green tea.  I made it through the night and felt pretty good about the choices I made.

The other day of the training got moved to Friday that week so I couldn't go due to swim lessons (I teach a couple of lessons at the Y).  But Thursday was another fun day because I lost another 4 pounds!  I'm sure walking 13 miles had something to do with it but hey, I'll take what I can get!  I couldn't believe I was only 6 pounds away from losing 50 pounds.  I told Renee' I would probably pass out when that happened.  I had actually stopped saying IF because I was actually believing in myself.  Crazy what having someone believe in you and pushing you to be your best can do for your self-confidence :)

I didn't have anything to do that weekend so I was able to spend a lot of time alone (that never used to be a good thing...) trying to get inside my own head.  I figured some things out.  Now, I just had to figure out how to take action without stepping too far out of my comfort zone...